Friday, December 6, 2013

2013 Advent Beer 6: Moose Knuckle Winter Stout

 

First, let's acknowledge that I'm disappointed that my pattern theory has been shot to pieces by this arrival from Canmore's Grizzly Paw. Furthermore, let's all agree that Grizzly Paw needs to fire their marketing bro; I try not to be a prude, but that's no name for a product going into my mouth.

 

The name notwithstanding, I am a fan of most stouts, especially oatmeal stouts, so I am predisposed to liking this beer. It pours a deep, dark brown, nearly black, with hints of a cola-like brown around the edges, and the tan head common to this style.

 

The dark roast of the malts gives smoke and cocoa characteristics to the beer, with a hint of sweetness, and almost no bitterness. It has a smooth, full-bodied mouthfeel with a somewhat murky finish that prompts a bit of appreciative lip-smackery that seems entirely appropriate. I don't know if it is the 'meal replacement' Grizzly Paw purports it to be, but it would be fun to find out, especially at 6% ABV. St. Ambroise and Wildrose (the beloved Alberta Crude) make for strong competition in this arena though, and I don't know if Moose Knuckle can punch them loose.

 

The first of two anticipated angels arrived on the nativity today, horn in hand. She makes me long for heraldry; not the study of coats of arms, but there is an undeniable amount of appeal in the idea of someone who goes ahead to foretell the coming of someone or something important. Instead, news articles tell us what leaders and organizations are anticipated to do or say before they even say or do it, and it isn't quite the same.

 

The last guy to use a herald effectively was Galactus, and it turned out poorly for him in the end, but I think they went out of vogue well before that. I had a realization that the decimation of this occupation may have its formation with our need for immediate gratification and lack of appreciation for anticipation. Christmas though, there's a golden opportunity for waiting; in fact, that's what advent is all about.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment