Sunday, November 23, 2014

Serenity Gulch: Denizens Arrive, and a Street Takes Shape

The other day the UPS man dropped off a weighty little parcel. It was about the size of a shoebox, or perhaps a moccasin box, being a bit wider and shallower, but at 2.4 kg, quite a bit heavier.

The dense package turned out to be my shipment from Wargames Foundry in Nottingham, purveyors of fine historical miniatures. In an interesting bit of recycling, my shipment of figures came in the same box that they receive their casting alloy in.

Thankfully, my parcel of metal was not an ingot of lead-tin mixture, but an assortment of western characters, 96 in total.

Now comes the distribution of the figures amongst next year's Gaming & Guinness attendees, which will probably take a little while to sort out. In the meantime, it's back to Serenity Gulch. The bases for the buildings are all cut, so I sanded the edges down and started gluing down the boardwalks. A piece of scrap wood from a fake crate that once held a gift set of jars provided yet another boardwalk, once I scored it a few times with my trusty X-Acto knife.

I think I will have to glue the buildings down next, then add some sand for texture, and finally throw some spray primer onto the whole affair; it's actually quite sub-optimal since the buildings are already primed, but I can't really add the sand without the buildings, and gluing the buildings down before priming makes to very difficult to get under any overhangs and suchlike.

Well, it isn't like the buildings have a ton of detail on them, sop I think they will turn out all right. Certainly, lining them all up in the semblance of a street, standing the awning up outside the general mercantile, and imagining the balcony added to the stately Emporium saloon made for a satisfying, if incomplete, tableau.

I figure the other high-fronted building to be another commercial venture, perhaps a hardware store or laundry, but I have no idea whose residence that might be at the end of the street. Whoever it is, I can tell you they aren't good planners; without a back door, there is no easy way to access the 'facility' out back.

No comments:

Post a Comment