Sunday, July 15, 2018

Not Exactly Roughing It

We have deployed Frankentrailer to the Alberta badlands in a long-overdue return to the Drumheller area. We estimate that we were last here in 2006, and at that time we camped in a tent, but that is not the most interesting change.

I've really enjoyed this year's World Cup matches for their unpredictability, mad upsets, and only one scoreless draw in the entire tournament. Even though the final didn't contain any of the teams I normally cheer for (England, Holland, most African teams) I still wanted to see it.  Alas, nowhere in Drumheller appeared to be screening it, let alone an all-ages venue that would let Glory watch! After a couple of futile email exchanges it appeared I would have to sort myself out. A thankful combination of hospitality and technology made this possible.


It turns out that  River Grove Campground where we are staying this week has complimentary wifi. The phone I upgraded to this spring came with a free projector, of all things. I downloaded the TSN app, fired up the tiny projector, and that is how we managed to watch Croatia's valiant but doomed effort against France this morning on the ceiling of Frankentrailer, while curled up in our sleeping bags.

There were more than a few breaks in streaming due to buffering issues or the wifi connection being momentarily lost. Thankfully, my self awareness regarding my position of privilege returned when I caught myself saying aloud, "I just want to watch a live sporting match from the other side of the world on the equivalent of a 40" television, while camping, on the ceiling of my 40-year-old trailer - is that too much to ask for?"

Probably, yes, in reality; but we watched nonetheless, and enjoyed ourselves tremendously. What a time to be alive, as they say.







No comments:

Post a Comment