Sunday, December 16, 2018

2018 Advent Beers: Part I

As some of you have observed, I am no longer continuing my long-running daily blog for the Craft Beer Advent Calendar. I can't say whether it is the result of complacency, familiarity or a simple lack of human capacity, but last year's entries became a bit of a chore, I'm saddened to say, and I resolved on the 24th that I wouldn't follow through this year.

Besides, now that I am tracking my beers on Untappd, it feels a bit superfluous to do so again here, in a format that demands I struggle to come up with new synonyms for "effervescent", "resinous", or "pungent."

Still, there have a been a couple of notable entries in this year's calendar, and some of the labels have been quite striking, so I will be doing a summary of this year's offerings in four parts -  a series of "six-packs", if you will (or even if you won't).

This is the first time I can recall the advent beer calendar having a discernible pattern, but thus far each brewery has had two selections proferred on successive days. In the first six days I've had the good fortune to try beers from England, Mexico, and the Yukon Territories.

Day 1: FUBAR

Tiny Rebel Brewing in Wales kicks it off with a session Pale Ale. Hoppy beers will never be my favourite, but this was a nice one, crisp and light.

Day 2: Orange Mocha Frapp Stout

The latter half of the Tiny Rebel dyad, and worth the wait. This milk stout is thick, rich and creamy, without being cloyingly sweet. At 7% ABV it is either a poor or brilliant choice for a breakfast beer.

Day 3: Mexican IPA


The best label thus far, courtesy of Mexico's Baja Brewing, this is another well-balanced India Pale Ale that is both strong and refreshing.

Day 4: Ay Ay Ay PA

From the best label to the best name, this 4.5% session IPA was not really my style sadly. But maybe it's because I only had one of them? More research may be required.

Day 5:  Imperial Stout

From Yukon Brewing in Whitehorse, our first heavyweight at 9.5%. One of my favourite styles, and this one was fine. Higher marks may be from people who can actually taste all ten different malts, but I was just glad to have them all there. Disappointingly named though, I have to say.

Day 6: Tamarack and Spruce Tip IPA

The other Yukon beer is far more creative and distinct. Not overpoweringly piney, thankfully, but still enough woodsy, resiny aromatics to be a hophead's delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment