Sunday, May 12, 2019

On Birthdays, and Being a Known Quantity

There are very few among us who don't want to be understood, to be recognized, to have our presence acknowledged (if not celebrated) and our absences lamented.

I have been away from work since the start of the month due to some unpleasantness that transpired there and thus was not present for the traditional workplace commemoration of my birthday last week. Cake is good, gifts and cards are wonderful, but the best part is just getting away from the daily grind with the excellent people you share it with and enjoying each other's company for a few moments.

Yesterday afternoon I got a text from a work colleague saying that a parcel had been left on my step for me (they had not wanted to ring the bell due to a bout of sickness that has been lingering with them for over a week). I sent a thank-you text expressing my surprise and collected the package from the front.

I guess they know my tastes pretty well, as it was a magnificent pre-painted model of Thor from the comics (i.e. not Chris Hemsworth). Far more meaningful though was the card signed by not only my teammates but almost a dozen other people from the floor I work on, a number of whom had inquired about me both before and after my departure. It was truly touching.

One of the things I have tried to do in recent weeks is to never lose sight of the fact that I have a lot of people in my corner. When you get down on yourself sometimes, it can be easy to forget both the frequency and degree of affection and respect that others have for us. Being reminded of this from time to time is both a blessing and a balm, and I am grateful.

My family was also tremendously accommodating, and a day that started out tinged with sadness and physical discomfort took several turns for the better.

We went out for dinner at Craft Beer Market, where our early arrival meant there were happy hour specials on top of the 52% discount I received for my birthday. More importantly, Glory I fulfilled our long-standing goal of splitting the legendary 20-Napkin Burger. Dinner was accompanied by three exquisite pints, including the Wizard's Revenge Milkshake IPA from New Level Brewing in Calgary.


When we returned home I was presented with more gifts, including a new Monster Manual and Pickle Rick bookmark for it, as well as a coupon for a snuggie in the fabric of my choice and a copy of 1977's Slapshot on BluRay, but in a VHS-style box. Once again - it is good to be known.

I was only a little apprehensive when I put Slapshot on afterwards - after all, you can never be sure how oldies like this will be taken by the next generation. But I was gratified at how much the girls laughed, and it's a relief to know that references to the Hanson Brothers and Ogie Ogelthorpe have an opportunity to live on a little longer.

Ending the day full of good food and drink, surrounded by loved ones and laughter? It's hard to imagine a better birthday after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment