Sunday, December 5, 2021

A Farewell to Cybernetic Arms (or So Long, Ogre)

Back in high school, another nerd and I (was it A.C.? perhaps...) sat down over a spare period or lunch hour to play a game he had brought to the cafeteria in his pocket: Steve Jackson's Ogre.

At this point I think I would have been familiar with a few different SJ games: the conspiratorial and satirical Illuminati, the evocative yet plodding Car Wars, and Melee and Wizard, which combined to make up The Fantasy Trip. A quick wargame carried in a pocket box was new enough, bit it was also my introduction to asymmetric gaming.

In Ogre, one player has a veritable army, around a dozen units or more as I recall, ranging from static howitzers through scrappy infantry teams, and ground effect vehicles and tanks filling in the gaps. Their job is to defend their command post against a singular opponent: a massive, cybernetically controlled tracked vehicle bristling with lasers, missiles and anti-personnel mines. Even completely disarmed, the relentless Ogre can still achieve victory by overrunning your command posted and crushing it beneath its treads. It is a fair fight, and a skilled opponent can make defending or attacking equally difficult.

But a poster-paper map and thin counters that you cut out yourself (not even die-cut? pfft...) didn't provide a lot of visual compulsion to play, and attempts to make versions with miniatures over the years have met with fairly limited success.


This is probably why I was so thrilled to find the Ogre Designer's Edition on such a good deal a few years ago on Boxing Day, and snapped it up. Beautiful boards, tons of thick, die-cut counters and best of all, 3D cardstock counters for the eponymous Ogres themselves. Not quite miniatures, but still a step in the right direction.


It looked great, had clear, well-written rules and one of the best-organized storage systems I have ever encountered, but there was only one problem: years later, Ogre had still not been played.



I would love to blame the pandemic for this, but the bigger problem is that it is a two-player game. My gaming time is limited enough that it is rare that I play games with a singular opponent, which is a bit ironic because the wargaming hobby is really built around such games.

Not all, but quite a few of my multi-player games work well with two players (Arena, Battletech, X-Com, Pandemic) and if I need a two-player experience I will typically reach for Hive (if I want a quick, abstract game) or Space Hulk (if I want something a bit more textured, tactile, and sharing Ogre's asymmetric slant). Or call up Totty for a long-overdue game of Battle of Britain.

The biggest issue though was one of size. The Designer's Edition box is a staggering 24 x 20 x 6 inches in size and uncharitably described as being larger than a child's coffin.  (Banana for scale.)

I don't think of myself as a hoarder, but I don't imagine most hoarders do, and this behemoth was taking up far too much space on my gaming shelves. With two other Kickstarted games inbound as well as a couple of batches of miniatures for D&D, something had to give, and this weekend I decided it was time to part ways with two and a half boxes of outdated and underplayed rulebooks and my Designer's Edition of Ogre. (Sigh.)

I listed it on Kijiji today for the same price I paid for it (half of SRP), but will probably take a little less if offered. And I hope it goes to someone else who has fond memories of bitterly fought conflicts between an inhuman mega-tank and a company of infantry, tanks and artillery on a cratered battlefield.

But if anyone comes over and wants a game between now and when it sells, I could certainly be talked into it, and we can roll off to see who gets the Ogre.

2 comments:

  1. I could also share that on the Facebook "Board Game Enthusiasts" group, or the Edmonton Boardgames Discord server (or you could, for that one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete