Friday, December 12, 2014

2014 Advent Beer 12: Biere De Noël

(Sigh) And so, we reach the halfway point of this year's calendar, with a beer from quite a bit closer to home: Big Sky Brewing in Missoula, Montana. And with a big name, we get the biggest ABV to date at a whopping 10.1%. I'm glad this one turned up on a weekend!

It pours out as a rich, dark copper colour, and the alcohol sweetness is clear to the nose, but it also smells of yeast and spice.

Now, I know a big beer like this deserves to be sipped and savoured, and I am ashamed how quickly I devoured it, but for such a strong beverage, it was amazingly drinkable. Smooth, with no bite or bitterness. A slight caramel aftertaste, but not overly sweet; it still tastes like a beer. This is one of the best >10% beers I think I've ever had the pleasure of tasting, so Biere De Noël is definitely in the running for best of show, and a great exemplar of an over-strength winter warmer.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment