Wednesday, December 17, 2014

2014 Advent Beer 17: Wold Top Marmalade Porter

Now this is the kind of semi-stunt beer I look forward to encountering in a Calendar like this: a Marmalade Porter from Wold Top Brewing in Yorkshire. Stouts and porters tend to be two of my favourite styles. And they both lend themselves well to other flavours, especially fruit and chocolate.

 

This Porter, like most of them, pours a voluminously dark brown, almost black, with a moderate caramel-coloured head. Scents of burnt coffee and dark chocolate are prominent, but there is a trace of bitter orange in there as well.

 

A satisfyingly full mouthfeel, with the bitterness of the chocolate and coffee offset by the overall smoothness of the drink. The bitter orange turns up mostly in the aftertaste, and I don't know if it is the suggestion of the label, but it is strongly reminiscent of marmalade, a flavour I used to despise, but which has grown on me over the years.

I can't say I like it as much as the Gædingur Stout, but it is definitely one of my top five beers from the 2014 calendar thus far, and would love to try it again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment