Sunday, May 8, 2022

Return of the Son of Covid, Part II - Spoke 2 Soon

 A week ago tonight I wrote how decent I was feeling, much of it attributable to the high spirits associated with feeling like you have perhaps bested a modern-day plague responsible for 15 million deaths, according to WHO

But like Ripley stepping back onto the deck of the Sulaco in Aliens, I should have known the story wasn't over.

I woke up very tired the next day following a rough night of sleep, which was hardly out of the ordinary for me. I figured as long as I wasn't coughing I could certainly put in my time on the phones. But it started out rough and only got rougher, and by the end of my shift, I was not only exhausted, but my cough had returned. Or had it? How do you differentiate between "a" cough and "the" cough - I mean, we are doing lots of cleaning, there is dust flying about, surely a bit of coughing is to be expected?

But the next day the cough and exhaustion persisted, and I ended up home from work again, napping fitfully during the day, and coughing while awake. When I spoke to my doctor on Thursday, he wondered, as I had, if I had perhaps overdone it by returning to work too early and provoking a relapse. He suggested I take the rest of the week to recover and now, here I am - unsure about returning to work tomorrow fully 12 days after testing positive, and at least two weeks of being symptomatic.

This persistence meant not being able to attend Geekquinox (already once-postponed and now postponed again), not being able to celebrate Mother's Day and my birthday with a rare evening out, and missing the opening weekend of a new Marvel studio - I can't even remember the last time that happened.

Luckily Audrey is so accommodating - we ended up having a lovely day at home. She went out and fetched drinks and a lovely tiramisu (my favourite!) from Mercato in St. Albert, and I ordered us some tasty burgers from Woodshed.

No one had much energy after that much food (Fenya is still recovering and Glory worked the Mother's Day brunch at Hathaway's this morning to boot), so we played a game of Azul that saw Audrey triumphant.

A quick blog post and I will be off to bed -  it will be a trying week with training at work, and new windows being installed here on Wednesday and Thursday, casting the household into disarray.

I wish I was ending the week feeling more like I did a week past, but hope that a good night's sleep (whatever that looks like) will put me back on track, and try to focus less on a frustrating week and more on a lovely Sunday spent with loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment