Sunday, October 29, 2023

Maximum Miniatures?

In many ways, it is the greatest of ironies; when I began playing Dungeons & Dragons in junior high, very few of us had miniatures that looked anything like our characters, and we often used nickels and pennies or green army men to depict the various enemies. 

Having collected miniatures for RPGs and wargaming for four decades, I now have a tremendous assortment to draw on. Despite being a player or GM in four different campaigns, however, almost all of the playing I do is online, and the one I play in person (Call of Cthulhu) works far better as a 'theater of the mind' experience.

But when a newer player on one of my online D&D campaigns talked about seeing a friend play with a tacklebox full of miniatures and jokingly suggested we needed to "step up our game", I couldn't resist having a little fun and saying, "oh, hey, yeah - a tackle box with trays are a neat idea - i have been using these little transparent boxes from Amazon so it is easier to find stuff..."





"But of course that doesn't hold the large (and mostly prepainted stuff), so I just keep that in this ugly printer paper box:"


"And my metal figs, some of which I have had since I was thirteen, aren't much to look at but I can't bear to part with them either! So I still keep them in this figure case with foam trays:"





"Then I had a few extra foam trays I keep in this old Warhammer Fortress box:"





"...except for this one tray that doesn't fit and mostly holds unpainted stuff (oh, and 4 figs printed in colour from a Kickstarter adventure based on a  metal album called The Red Opera!)"


"Oh yeah, and this box that holds all the ninja and samurai figures I used to work into nearly every campaign I played in high school..."



"But that's about it, really...- oh, wait, the figure cabinet has two shelves of D&D stuff in it..."


"And this Lord of the Rings and Warhammer stuff would probably work in a pinch too, actually..."


At this point, another player mentioned a Kickstarter that is (allegedly) coming in at some point, and is actually a followup to this assortment of miniatures:





And as far as miniatures for D&D or other fantasy games go, that is really about it.

But let's not get started about all the wargaming armies, spaceships and Old West models lying around here!

And let's not talk about the biggest model either, because despite my experience with building Tiamat, she is not even in the running after Pete set Great Cthulhu on his tabletop a couple weeks back...

 




No comments:

Post a Comment