Sunday, December 10, 2023

The Cup of Cheer

Years ago, decades actually, I stumbled across a collection of slow cooker recipes in a Cerlox-bound book at Costco (or maybe even Price Club from when we lived in Etobicoke). It was curated by Good Housekeeping and because I am an intrinsically lazy person who loves hot meals, it seemed like a good investment. 20+ years later, it still gets regular looks in, particularly for the Hot Buttered Apple Rum on page 23.

Now, I am not a particularly ambitious person in the kitchen, especially if you go back a decade or two, but this warm punch recipe had very few ingredients in it and all of them were easy to find. Honestly, the toughest part was the cheesecloth, which I think I found at either Safeway or possibly The Bay, so, yeah - not too difficult.

We have a coffee butler kind of thing that holds an entire batch (nearly 2 L) and keeps it hot for hours and have kept this recipe on hand for potlucks, sledding parties, winter open houses and sometimes just 'cause.

You can make it with or without adding rum, and most times we do, although either way I recommend maybe using a bit less brown sugar than they suggest, and most people who have had it really, really express a lot of appreciation for it.


My favourite way to serve it is in the Irish coffee glasses Audrey got me as an anniversary present many years ago, with a wee pat of butter floated on top (seriously, it adds tremendous taste and texture to the whole thing). I put some in the crock pot this morning before leaving for church and shared a glass with my sister when she came for supper. And for me, sharing that drink with her? That is when it really, really started to feel like Christmas is coming.

I don't know what it is about hot boozy beverages that put me in mind of the holidays, and family gatherings and suchlike. Dad always loved finishing up meals out with a cup of coffee and a wee glass of Drambuie or something similar. and both Tara and I inherited our mother's love of Irish coffees and the infinite copycats and similar drinks. But I remember serving a glass to someone who was a little unsure what to expect, and having taken a big sip once it had cooled, beamed at me while bringing their shoulders closer to their ears and proclaiming, "it's like drinking a hug."

There are more of you reading this that I would like to hug than I am reasonably going to encounter in the next little while, so, if you are so inclined, I invite you to make a batch of Hot Buttered Apple Rum, and think warmly of our household when you drink, preferably on a frosty day.





No comments:

Post a Comment